How often do you wish you had an hour extra each day? Do you have times when you are so busy you find it hard to think?
Well, at Halcyon I don’t just work on big, long term projects. I also work with clients on an hourly basis, often during busy periods when they have a deadline looming, are going away for research or on book tours, or when they find themselves with several projects all clamouring for attention.
To give you an idea of how I can give you an extra hour or more each day here is a list of things I can do in an hour or less in order to free up your time to concentrate on your pressing concerns.
• Search various online archives for people, places or events and report on findings
• Preliminary literature review on JSTOR
• Find images to illustrate your latest article and report on copyright status
• Transcribe up to 2 pages of manuscript (original building specifications, contracts, wills, diaries etc)
• Transcribe 15 minutes of oral history interview
• Organise your notes in a searchable format- no more looking up references you’ve followed before
• Edit and proof a minimum of a five page report
• Gather information on grant opportunities and calendar deadline reminders
• Convert document files to PDF format
• Create a PowerPoint presentation
• Create a template for client reports
• Respond to enquiries from potential clients
• Arrange travel and accommodation for your speaking engagements
• Follow up on lecture and workshop requests
• Send invitations to your latest event and monitor the response
• Send out a call for papers and monitor the response
• Arrange accommodation for conference speakers
• Compile course documents and send to students
• Create a feedback survey and distribute to your latest course attendees
• Mail merge 50-100 letters including stuffing and mailing
• Request and follow up for hard copies/files of recent print mentions or live media appearances
• Setup a call answering service
• Sort through your inbox, highlight any missives that need your attention and deal with the others (useful if you are away for a period of time)
• Set up a blogging account/program and incorporate it to your website
• Schedule 3-4 blog entries, with photos and appropriate links
• Update your events pages
• Create an email distribution list so people can keep informed of your latest events
• Set up e-newsletter template
• Format and schedule e-newsletters
• Update the Press or Media pages on your website to include links to articles, books and TV appearances
• Set up and customize a Twitter account
• Update web site content, editing up to 5 pages (depending on number of changes)
• Create a header graphic for website/blog
• Research and book travel and hotel accommodation for your upcoming trip
• Research the opening times, directions and contact details for archives, museums and other institutions
• Book hotels for your research trip and find recommended restaurants
• Create a detailed Google business listing with images
Each project is unique, so this only gives an example of areas I can support you. And it goes without saying that all work is dealt with in confidence.
You don’t need to be working on a big project to benefit from my support and experience. Halcyon Virtual Assistance is here to help for those times when you could do with an extra pair of hands!
With thanks to the Virtual Assistant Forum for the original idea.